Play Therapy with Gender Expansive Children and Adolescents
May 22, 2021, 9 – 4:30pm PST
Live via Zoom
Presenter: Mandi Meléndez, LMFT, LPC, RPT, NCC
- APT Members: (Use code APTMEM) $99 ($89 before 5/17)
- Non-Members: $119 ($109 before 5/17)
Description: LGBT children are at very high risk for depression, anxiety, and suicidality. LGBT children in families with accepting attitudes and behaviors toward them have significantly decreased risk and better overall health in adulthood. Specific caregiver behaviors, such as advocating for the child and supporting gender expression guard against depression, drug abuse, suicidal thoughts and suicide attempts. In this session we will explore the utility of play therapy, sandtray, and expressive arts for use in treatment with gender expansive children, adolescents, and their caregivers as supports in healthy identity development and relational attachment. Counselors and psychotherapists working with anyone on the gender identity spectrum will benefit from exploration of the role of child development as it pertains to gender expansive identity development.
- APT Members: $99 (Use code APTMEM)
- Non-Members: $119
- Hour 1: Overview of terms and mental health/play therapy needs of LGBT children and families.
- Hour 2: Exploration of gender expansive identity development in children.
- Hour 3: Case study of LGBT children in play therapy.
- Hour 4: Practice directive interventions in play therapy.
- Hour 5: Nondirective play therapy with LGBT children and families.
- Hour 6: Collaborative treatment goals, community supports, questions.
- Define common terms and misconceptions about gender expansive people in order to provide ethically sound therapeutic support in play therapy.
- Describe the role of gender expansive identity development in children and adolescents.
- Identify treatment goals for gender expansive children and their families in play therapy.
- Create a safe and playful therapeutic space for gender expansive clients in play therapy.
- Apply play therapy interventions to support gender expansive children and their families.
- Utilize community supports to better serve gender expansive children and their families.
Mandi Meléndez, LMFT-S, LPC, RPT-S, is the Immediate Past President of the Texas Association for Play Therapy and co-founder of Nurture Family Counseling in Cedar Park, Texas. She holds a Master of Arts in Marriage and Family Therapy with an emphasis on Play Therapy from Texas State University, as well as a Master of Arts in Interpersonal Communication from the University of Texas at Austin. Mandi prefers holistic and creative systemic interventions, and has post-graduate training in Theraplay, Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing, Child Parent Relationship Therapy, and Trust-Based Relational Intervention. Areas of particular interest are gifted children and their families, gender expansive children and their families, and attachment issues.
Continuing Education: This workshop meets the qualifications for 6 hours of contact continuing education credit per day for Psychologists, MFTs & LCSWs and LPCC’s. The California Association for Play Therapy (CALAPT) is approved by the Association for Play Therapy to offer continuing education specific to play therapy (APT Approved Provider # 00-094). Due to COVID-19 health concerns, this one-time online event has been approved by APT for 6 CONTACT CE Hours. The California Association for Play Therapy is approved by the American Psychological Association (APA) to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Psychologists may receive 6 hours of continuing education credit for this workshop. The California Board of Behavioral Sciences (BBS) now recognizes APA continuing education credit for license renewal for LCSWs, MFTs and LPCCs. The California Association for Play Therapy maintains responsibility for this program and its contents. NO CREDIT FOR PARTIAL ATTENDANCE.
Who Should Attend: Social Workers, Marriage, Family & Child Therapists, Licensed Professional Clinical Counselors, School Counselors, Psychologists, Students, and Interns.
Instructional Level: Introductory
Cancellations & Refunds: Requests for refunds must be made in writing by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Requests must be made at least two weeks prior to the training to receive a refund. There is a $25.00 administrative fee for refunds. There are no refunds for cancellations after the deadline, however, registration may be transferred to another individual. There are no price breaks for partial attendance.
Disclaimer: The opinions expressed by presenters at the CALAPT events do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the CALAPT Board of Directors or its membership. CALAPT reserves the right to make changes to the conference schedule, speakers and presentation, if this becomes necessary.
If you have a disability and need accommodations per ADA/504, please provide notification 2 weeks prior to the workshop date.
Contact us at email@example.com with any event or registration related questions. Hope to see you at the event!